Subject: OpenC2 Happenings for the Week of 10 February 2020

OpenC2 Technical Committee,

Our Executive Secretary (Dave Lemire) is unavailable for this week’s happenings email. I will try to meet his standard of excellence, but don’t get your hopes up. Dave will return next week.

Before we start the normal happenings:

Thank you for your continued support of this Technical Committee.  Our first Plug Fest was quite successful and the fact that over 2/3 of the participants were not members of this TC indicates that OpenC2 is in fact generating a lot of interest.  Realization of wider awareness and interest in this suite of specifications is rewarding.  Now it is even more important to remain vigilant and responsive.

As a direct result of the OpenC2 Plug Fest, four companies and an individual are in dialogue with OASIS regarding membership so that they can join the OpenC2 Technical Committee.  We are anticipating new OpenC2 members in the near future, so now is an opportunity for improvement.  Please send your feedback and suggestions.  Should we improve the Happenings? Should we discontinue the Happenings and pursue another mechanism?  Is there a hybrid approach?  Please send your suggestions to Dave Lemire.

And now for our normal Happenings…

===================================== tear line ===================================

ITEMS ONE AND TWO:

·         Subcommittee Reorganization.  At the next TC meeting, we will issue a call for objections to stand up a new subcommittee and the current Language Subcommittee and Implementation Consideration Subcommittee will transfer their efforts to the new subcommittee.  The Actuator Profile Subcommittee will continue as it is currently operating.  To date, there have been no objections to the proposed way forward.  If you have comments or objections to the proposed way forward, please let them be known promptly because it impacts the…

·         Pending Elections. The TC will conduct elections in March for TC co-chair and one co-chair for each subcommittee. Nominations for the co-chair are currently open and will remain open until the March TC meeting.  Please consider nominating yourself or a colleague for the OpenC2 Technical Committee co-chair, Actuator Profile Subcommitte co-chair and/or other Subcommittee co-chair (depending on the outcome of the call for objections).

ITEM THREE: Post-plug fest. As reported last week, we had a very successful plug fest / hackathon last week.  We are in the process of documenting and capturing lessons learned. Review the plug fest outcomes page on GitHub. If you were there, contribute your experience.
https://github.com/oasis-tcs/openc2-usecases/blob/master/Cybercom-Plugfest/Plugfest-Outcomes.md

Regardless of whether or not you attended the Plug Fest, let’s find ways to improve our suite of specifications, which leads us to…

ITEM FOUR: A call for post 1.0 Participation. Version 1.0 of the specifications have been posted, approved, announced and we are seeing implementations.  Let’s take advantage of the momentum.

  • Do you have a product or service that's a candidate for producing / consuming OpenC2 commands and responses? Please consider sharing your Custom Actuator Profile or Proposed Committee specification. Contact the AP-SC co-chairs (Alex Everett and Dave Kemp).
  • We are seeing interest in augmenting the HTTPS transfer specification and other message fabrics. Is there a message fabric that is more suitable for your cyber-ecosystem?  Share your proposed key management, transport solutions and other implementation considerations with the IC-SC co-chairs (Dave Lemire and Michelle Barry)
  • Do you need OpenC2 to do more? Do you have a use case or scenario that we have not considered? Please inform Toby Considine of your use cases and architectural concerns.

Meetings This Week:

Actuator Profile SC
Tuesday, 11 February at 13:00 EST
Meeting link: https://meet.lucidmeetings.com/meeting/241586

Sent on behalf of the TC Co-Chairs,

Joe Brule

'Adnius ad retinedam puritem noster peciosus corporalis fluidorum…'