Subject: Re: EXT :[openc2] Re: Request-response over pub/sub for openC2

Dave,

                In our experience, the channel for publishing commands are better served with action oriented topics. For example opendxl  topics are action oriented for commands. My draft on the specification is modelled on similar lines as of http(s), where we do not use the url to define action details, instead have the message specify the action details and parameters. From a standards perspective, I would advocate consistency between various transport specs, and potential have direct mappings from the constructs of one transport spec to other.

                Opendxl has limited support for wildcards. I am adding Chris Smith to the thread who can speak to opendxl authoritatively.

Regards

Sudeep

From: "Lemire, Dave (HII-TSD)" <david.lemire@hii-tsd.com>
Date: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 11:06 AM
To: "Das, Sudeep" <Sudeep_Das@McAfee.com>, "openc2@lists.oasis-open.org" <openc2@lists.oasis-open.org>

CAUTION: External email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Sudeep,

As I dive back into the MQTT spec, and look again at your message I think you've only answered part of Joe's original question.  The core of Joe's question was whether you'd recommend the channel(s) for publishing commands should be structured in an action-centric manner or a device-centric manner, based on McAfee's experience with pub/sub messaging. In your reply you focused on how responses would be routed back to the originating Producer, rather than the topic structure for sending commands. I looked at your OpenDXL transfer spec draft and that currently doesn't provide any guidance regarding command topic structure either, beyond starting with /oc2/{version}/

In a somewhat related question, does OpenDXL permit publishing wildcards, or is any individual message only published to a single topic (which could have many subscribers)?  I ask to compare / contrast with MQTT v3.1.1., where para 3.3.2.1 of the v3.1.1 spec explicitly precludes wildcard characters in the PUBLISH packet topic.

Dave

David Lemire

Systems Engineer

HII Mission Driven Innovated Solutions (HII-MDIS)

Technical Solutions Division

1557174172863_PastedImage

302 Sentinel Drive | Annapolis Junction, MD 20701

Work (301) 575-5190 | Mobile (443) 535-1182