Subject: Recommendations on OpenC2 Charter & Operating Procedures

TC Members:  per the action given to all at the January 20th TC meeting, I’ve reviewed the TC charter and considered how we should proceed. Speaking as a TC member, but informed by my roles as Secretary, IC-SC co-chair, and editor of several work products, I have the following recommendations:

For the charter refresh:

·        Update the deliverables section of the charter to reflect the work that’s been done and the work we project doing:

o   Define the three major document types

§  Overarching: Language Spec, Architecture Spec, JADN

§  Actuator Profiles

§  Transfer Specifications

o   Provide for supporting documents of various types

·        Eliminate the SCs, as  I think

1.      They’ve served their purpose of boot-strapping the three major types of documents, and

2.      We need to reduce the number of leadership positions so that those who fill them can better focus

·        It’s not strictly a charter thing, but this implies thinking about possibly defining some other “leadership” roles:

1.      Openc2.org website editor / manager (we currently have an editor, from AT&T)

2.      Someone monitoring the open source repos (currently an IC-SC responsibility)

Aligned with that charter refinement, I’d suggest the following operational model:

·        Retain our current approach of once-monthly two-session business meetings, keeping the 3rd Wednesday of the month scheduling

o   These meetings count toward voting rights

·        Replace individual SC meetings with routine, twice-monthly working meetings on the 2nd & 4th Wednesdays

o   Agendas worked out by TC co-chairs in concert with work product editors, and announced in advance (ideally a week or so)

o   Chaired by one of the TC co-chairs with agenda segments led by relevant work product editors

o   These meetings do not count toward voting rights

·        Allow for ad hoc working meetings if the need should arise

·        Consider restarting semi-annual “face-to-face” meetings (obviously these will be virtual for a while); I think it’s been two years since we held our last F2F and I think they’re good for “TC spirit” as well as being opportunities to dive in deep on particular topics

Dave

David Lemire

Systems Engineer

HII Mission Driven Innovated Solutions (HII-MDIS)

Technical Solutions Division

1557174172863_PastedImage

302 Sentinel Drive | Annapolis Junction, MD 20701

Work (301) 575-5190 | Mobile (443) 535-1182