Subject: CAP / Strategy

FYI, members may want to peruse https://cap-workshop.alert-hub.org/2021/report.pdf which is a report on a recent CAP workshop. In particular section 3.5 talks about the STRATEGY work in the EU. Besides dealing directly with the  STRATEGY project on OpenC2’s role in response to cyber incidents, we may want to deal directly with our peer OASIS TC on Emergency Management (https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=emergency ) ie those who write the CAP specs. Are any of you involved in CAP? Anybody know which subcommittee(s) have cyber incident response?

I don’t know if they are looking at it this way, but it seems to me that cyber could be looked at from two different angles wrt emergency management:

  • The classic emergencies (eg hurricanes) and what cyber means wrt them
  • Emergencies where cyber is the root cause of the emergency

My belief is OpenC2 plays a role in both views, and especially when combined (ie an adversary taking advantage of classic emergency to launch a cyber attack).

--

Duncan Sparrell

sFractal Consulting LLC

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize