Subject: Initial impressions: OCSF vs. OpenC2 data types

At our last TC meeting we spend some time discussing the recently announced Open Cybersecurity Schema Framework (OCSF). Just to get a sense, I started looking at the data types defined in OCSF, viewing them in their schema browser located at https://schema.ocsf.io/

The data types, specifically, are at https://schema.ocsf.io/data_types?extensions=

I haven’t yet dived into a careful point-by-point comparison, but have some initial observations:

1.      We have defined many of our data types that have some structure via a reference, whereas OCSF applies a regular _expression_, e.g., :

·         OpenC2:  email (String) Value must be an email address as defined in RFC5322, Section 3.4.

·         OCSF:  email_t (String)  ^[a-zA-Z0-9_.+-]+@[a-zA-Z0-9-]+\.[a-zA-Z0-9-.]+$    Email address. For example: john_doe@example.com.

2.      The layering of OCSF is going to make doing a thorough comparison a bit complicated, although I think a comparison of just their data types with ours is probably a useful start. There are only 22 base data types in OCSF, so that’s not terribly burdensome to examine. I think from there it’s probably best to move to their Attribute Dictionary, and then to Objects.

3.      I’m still puzzling over some of their constructs. For example, there’s a File Name data type (file_name_t) defined as a string with a regular _expression_ constraint. But the File observable object has a Name field that’s only defined as of type String with not constraints. I would  have expected the object to invoke file_name_t but it doesn’t. Similarly, the object has a Path of type Path Name, which does correspond to a data type and so at least implicitly invokes the path_t type. Some of this might be the browser, because if I dig into the schema repo and look at the file object, it does invoke file_name_t.

4.      Assuming we find at least some discrepancies, we’ll have to discuss whether it’s worth adjusting any of our type definitions to improve their alignments with OCSF’s definitions.

Dave

David Lemire
IA Systems Engineer
Mission Technologies