opencsa-liaison message

Subject: RE: [opencsa-liaison] Use of "may", "must", etc.

Dave,

What we (Policy TC) adopted is to apply RFC 2119 in a specific manner
which would avoid potential confusing situations. In particular, the
Policy TC adopted a resolution to avoid lower-case terms and synonyms
for the same terms which are otherwise permitted by RFC 2119. A
specification that follows this resolution will remain to be RFC 2119
compliant. On the other hand, if we were to assign different semantics
to lower-case keywords than what is specified by RFC 2119, it would lead
to non RFC 2119 compliant specifications.

In other words, the resolution you point to in your email below is for
'RFC 2119 minus some stuff', which is just fine, IMO. What I have
problem with is to adopt 'RFC 2119 plus some conflicting stuff'.

-- Sanjay