opencsa-liaison message

Subject: RE: [opencsa-liaison] Use of "may", "must", etc.

I agree with Bryan.  This approach also has precedent, at least in WS-BPEL 2.0.  It uses RFC 2119, but it also uses lowercase “may” in a way that has nothing to do with interoperability of implementations that don’t implement optional features (the way the 2119 “may” does).  As an experiment, take a look at WS-BPEL 2.0 and search for “may”.  You should find 171 occurances.  Pick through a few of those and imagine rewording all of them in a way that does not use any of the 2119 terms.

Michael

From: Bryan Aupperle [mailto:aupperle@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 3:42 PM
To: opencsa-liaison@lists.oasis-open.org

A couple of examples we have come across so far:

Service interfaces may be annotated to specify whether their contract is conversational, as described in the Assembly Specification [ASSEMBLY] using the @Conversational annotation.
Note for C++, annotations are currently anticipated to be processed by tools so annotated source, in and of itself, does not force any behavior on anything other than a annotation processor.  The conversational intent in the SCDL is what is meaningful.  Thus use of "MAY" is not appropriate here.  Replacing "may" with "can" is not grammatically correct.

The data exchange semantics for calls to local services is by-reference.  This means that code must be written with the knowledge that changes made to parameters (other than simple types) by either the client or the provider of the service can  be seen by the other.
This is not really a compliance point (I would not expect a test for it) but clearly guidance to someone reading the specification intending to implement components.  Removal or "must" is awkward and other options are wordier.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect
Master Inventor

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com

"Patil, Sanjay" <sanjay.patil@sap.com>

12/04/2007 10:34 AM

<ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>, Bryan Aupperle/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

cc

<opencsa-liaison@lists.oasis-open.org>

Subject

RE: [opencsa-liaison] Use of "may", "must", etc.

If we did that (that is treat the terms in lower-case differently from
their upper-case version), then our specs can not claim full compliance
with RFC 2119, since RFC 2119 does not differentiate the key words based
on their case. The problem with invoking RFC 2119 only for upper-case
keywords would be that - we might be upsetting a lot of readers out
there who have by now started expecting a full compliance with RFC 2119.

Bryan, could you give us one or two examples of the awkwardness you
faced while substituting the RFC terms? Perhaps we can just identify the
common situations of such awkwardness and try to come up with some
alternative terms that can be uniformly used by all the SCA specs.

-- Sanjay