opencsa-liaison message

Subject: NEW ISSUE: Use of Schematron in SCA Specifications

RAISER:  Mike Edwards, on behalf of the SCA BPEL TC

TARGET: All Specifications which define XML structures via XSD

An issue was raised in the BPEL TC which proposes the use of Schematron for expressing constraints which cannot
be captured using vanilla XSD.  It is true that SCA specifications quite generally have constraints of this kind.

The question for the liaison committee is: should Schematron get adopted by all of the SCA specifications for
expressing constraints on XML structures?   It would seem preferable for this to be all-or-nothing for the SCA specs
as a whole - either they all use Schematron or none of them should, for consistency sake.

Here is the original Issue as raised to the BPEL TC:

--------------------------------
statements limiting the usage of our defined XML items.  An example from
Section 3.3, where sca-bpel:service and sca-bpel:reference are defined:
"A process MUST NOT include both attributes on a single partnerLink."
This kind of restriction can not be encoded in XML Schema intuitively,
so we don't.  Furthermore, there is an implicit restriction that these
attributes are only to be used on a partnerLink, but again, we don't
state that formally.

PROPOSAL: Define SchemaTron rules in our specification that formalize
the constraints that are now limited to either informal verbal
constraints, or implied constraints.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

Unless stated otherwise above: