opencsa-liaison message

Subject: RE: [opencsa-liaison] Namespace for bindings and other extension points (was: Latest/This Version URI for Schema/WSDL files)

Simon,

Do you envision implementers of the SCA specifications using the interim versions of the different SCA 1.1 specifications produced by the related OASIS TCs?

I can see some value in experimenting with the idea of 'both namespaces' during the 1.1 timeframe, but I wonder whether this idea has any practical benefit as such (until after the 1.1 specs go final).

-- Sanjay

From: Simon Nash [mailto:NASH@uk.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, Apr 25, 2008 7:50 AM
To: OASIS Liaison

I'm puzzled by the first sentence implying agreement to the proposal from the bindings TC, followed by a proposal that is not what the bindings TC asked for.

Specifically, the bindings TC was proposing that the "both" approach should be used for the 1.1 specs.  Binding schemas would be defined in one or more binding-related namespaces, and the same definitions would also be available in the main SCA namespace.  This approach would be in place for 1.1, not post-1.1.

I would like to introduce this approach now, so that TCs who see value in having a different namespace can get their namespace definitions in place before 1.1.

    Simon

Simon C. Nash, IBM Distinguished Engineer
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
Tel. +44-1962-815156  Fax +44-1962-818999

Mike Edwards/UK/IBM@IBMGB

15/04/2008 10:37

"OASIS Liaison" <opencsa-liaison@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
RE: [opencsa-liaison] Namespace for bindings and other extension points (was: Latest/This Version URI for Schema/WSDL files)

Folks,

+1

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

"Michael Rowley" <mrowley@bea.com>

14/04/2008 17:12

Mike Edwards/UK/IBM@IBMGB, "OASIS Liaison" <opencsa-liaison@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
"Anish Karmarkar" <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
Subject
RE: [opencsa-liaison] Namespace for bindings and other extension points (was: Latest/This Version URI for Schema/WSDL files)

I believe that we should respond to the bindings TC by saying that the liason committee agrees with the “both” approach that was suggested.  I’ll repeat that suggestion here:

- Perhaps it is possible to define bindings/implementations/etc in their
own namespace, but then also create a overarching namespace that brings
together "blessed" versions of each candidate technology.  XML Schema
may not have good ways of doing this (I don't know), but in the
worst-case, the element definitions could be repeated in a different
namespace.

We also believe that we should start the process with a “blessed” namespace for SCA version 1.1.  However, as soon as any TC needs to make an incompatible change to an extensibility element (e.g. binding.xxx) after the completion of SCA 1.1, a new namespace should be created that will be used specifically for that extensibility point.

At some later time, SCA as a whole will create a new coarse-grained namespace (e.g. for SCA 1.2) that will include specific versions of the finer-grained namespaces that have been created since the 1.1.

These means that, in the short run, everything should be in the one SCA namespace that has been defined by the assembly TC.

Michael