opencsa-liaison message

Subject: Re: [tab] Re: [opencsa-liaison] Reference dependencies in various SCA specs

Jeff et al -

I'll draft this up into a note to send the the BPC mailing list. This
is an opportunity for people to comment on the problem statement and
make sure I have correctly captured and characterized both the problem
and the proposed solution.

The problem being raised (and thank you Sanjay and Mike for bumping it
up a notch) is a narrow one:

- A given TC has a Working Draft (WD) approved and submitted for
publication as a Committee Specification Draft (CSD). This WD contains
references to other approved WD’s that will, at some point in the near
future, be approved and published as CSD's.

- The TC wants to proceed with publication of their CSD with the
references to the approved WD's and have TC Administration update the
references in the published CSD at a later date from approved WD to
CSD when the referenced specifications are themselves published.

- In addition, they want this done without triggering a 15 day public
review of the updated CSD.

- This situation would be addressed by TC Process section 2.19,
Designated Cross Reference Changes and by section 2.18, Work Product
Quality item (6) Allowed Changes *if* section 2.19 applied at the CSD
stage of a specification. Right now, 2.19 only applies to approvals
for Committee Specification and above.

The solution being proposed is to allow section 2.19 to apply to CSD
approvals as well as CS approvals. (Note for the TC's to consider: as
currently constructed, application of section 2.19 will result in
publication of the referencing CSD being held up until all the
cross-referenced specifications are published. To proceed with
immediate publishing of the CSD and subsequent updates to the
references requires additional changes to section 2.19.)

In addition, we need to answer a second question this raises: what
cross references are specifically meant in 2.19:

1. The references in the Related Work section of the cover pages to
the specification only?
2. That plus the cross references in the Normative / Non-Normative
References section of the specification body? (Meaning that TC
Administration would be responsible for making changes with the
content produced by the TC.)
3. *Any* cross reference anywhere in the narrative specification document?
4. *Any* cross reference anywhere in *any* component of the complete
specification?

I ask because I have had other TC's argue that it means item #4.

Please provide any comments on this. Jeff, I can send the above to
board-process-committee@ if you'd like.

Best,

/chet