opencsa-ms message

Subject: DRAFT - OpenCSA Steering Committee Minutes - 29 Jun 2007

DRAFT - OpenCSA Steering Committee Minutes - 29 June 2007 9:00 AM PDT

0. Agenda bashing and Roll

Attending:                  Graham Barber, David Burke, Patrick Leonard, Mark Little, Jeff Mischkinsky, Sanjay Patil, Michael Rowley.
Absent:                     None.
OASIS Staff:                Mary McRae.
Identified Observers:       Mike Edwards (IBM), Charlton Baretto (Adobe).
Notes:                      Graham Barber

1. Minutes Approval

- 22 Jun 2007 -- Patil/Little - approve minutes - Unanimous.

2. Election of Steering Committee Vice-Chair

- Jeff Mischkinsky had already distributed the results of the ballot to the Member Section mailing list and Graham Barber was duly elected as Vice-Chair of the Steering Committee.

3. Outlook on TC Charters

- Mary McRae reported that the first two proposed charters for SCA (Assembly & Policy) has been announced to the <members> & <tc-announce> mailing lists. If all goes well, the remaining four will be announced on Monday 2nd July. From each announcement, a 14 day review period is open for comments from any OASIS member. This would be shortly followed by a Convenor's Call to discuss Issue Resolutions.

The role of the Steering Committee in this process was discussed as OASIS guidelines are not precise. We reached the consensus:
- As individual OASIS members, we should individually post any comments to the <oasis-charter-discuss> mailing list (as all other OASIS members have been so invited,
- Issues that a Steering Committee Member feels are important enough to be addressed by a Steering Committee discussion should be sent to our Member Section mailing list ( <opencsa-ms> )for further consideration at either the next, or a special, Steering Committee teleconference.
The above should take place in a timely manner during the fourteen day review period. We agreed to move the next Steering Committee teleconference to avoid USA member vacation conflict (See Item 6: Closure notes below).

Jeff Mischkinsky discussed the need for an informal body to handle inter-TC coordination. One possible model would be for a representative from each TC and a Steering Committee representative to convene as required to handle issues that span multiple TC's. It was emphasised that the body be informal and carry no decision-making authority. One example of work could be to arrange the SCA TC Plenary sessions in the week of September 17th (see TC charters for further info). It was also suggested that a more open education or tutorial session could be added to that week's agenda.
*** Action Item #0005: SC Members to consider the requirement for an informal inter TC coordination group, and who should represent the S/C on it.

We discussed the benefits of capturing our Steering Committee processes in some form. Graham Barber reminded the team that we did commence a Procedures Document stored at <http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/opencsa-ms/documents.php>. Mary McRae suggested that some wiki pages may be beneficial.
*** Action Item #0006: Mary McRae was requested to come back with a recommendation on use of Wiki Pages (in combination/replacement of information on existing web pages).

4. OSGi & SCA Discussion

Brief discussion followed on the requirement for some technical work on how SCA and OSGi coexist and complement each other. Conclusion was that no explicit Steering Committee action is required.

5. Statement of Work

OASIS rules require the Member Section to maintain a The Member Section statement of work - This is the planned general area of work to be addressed by TCs that affiliate with this Member Section over the lifetime of the Member Section. An early draft has been prepared and Graham Barber indicated that its agreement would be on a future Steering Committee agenda. In the meantime, Graham will invite all members to review & comment.

6. Closure

Meeting closed, 09.50am PDT.

Next meeting:

- The next regular teleconference at 9am on Friday July 6th has been moved to Monday July 9th at 8am PDT.

Future Agenda Items
- SC Issues, if any, on proposed TC Charters.
- Informal inter-TC coordination body.
- Statement of Work approval.

Graham J Barber,

Program Director, SOA Partnerships,
     Graham_Barber@uk.ibm.com
     Graham Barber@IBMGB
Phone:
Internal:                                245702,  External: +44 (0)1962 815702
Secretary (Yulia):          247672,                    +44 (0)1962 817672
Cellphone (Worldwide):                                    +44 (0)7880 734005

Unless stated otherwise above: