opencsa-ms message

Subject: RE: [opencsa-ms] OpenSCA TC file names and URL structure

Hi Sanjay,

  Yes, the model is intended to help the reader understand where the specification is in its development cycle. Merely incrementing WD loses the relationship to prior CDs and CSs. This is the model that is described in the rules document and to be followed.

  I’m trying to work on some quick, downloadable mini-tutorials that will hopefully make many of the fine points in the various rules and procedures governing TCs easier to understand; this is something I’ll definitely have to add to that list. One of the difficulties is that with 60-odd technical committees, I typically only *see* documents when they’re at one of the approval stages so chances are there are a number of TCs who aren’t getting it quite right. It’s my hope that at least new TCs will start off on the right foot.

Regards,

Mary

From: Patil, Sanjay [mailto:sanjay.patil@sap.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:00 PM
To: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org; Bryan Aupperle; Martin Chapman
Cc: opencsa-ms@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Mary,

Upon reading the guideline again, I am now realizing that my understanding of the scope of WD stage and the use of revision numbering is different from what is described in the guideline.

I think the guideline assumes that the scope of WD expires after the first CD  is issued, and subsequent versions are tracked as revisions of CDs, etc. So as per the guideline, an example of the series of drafts would be as follows:

WD 01

WD 02

CD 01

CD 01 Rev 01

CD 01 Rev 02

CD 02

CD 02 Rev 01

CD 03

CS 01

My understanding however is that the WD is not just the very first stage that terminates after the first CD is issued, but it continues throughout the TC's life cycle. I had thought that WD is merely a convention to identify editors' drafts. I assumed that the editors would use a monotonically increasing sequencing numbers for tracking the WDs, and periodically the TC may decide to vote upon one of the WDs as a CD (and subsequently CS, etc). So the series of drafts would look something like:

WD 01

WD 02

WD 03 --> CD 01 Rev 01 -> CD 01 Rev 02 ---(Vote)--> CD 01

WD 04

WD 05

WD 06 --> CD 02 Rev 01 --(Vote)--> CD 02 --(Vote)--> CS 01

WD 07

Note that in the above example the WD sequencing continues well beyond the first CD vote, and during the TC's life cycle, statements could be made such as - "WD 03 was voted upon as CD01", "WD 06 was voted upon as CS 01", etc.  In this model, the revision numbers are used to track merely the delta changes to accommodate any minor updates (fixing typos, etc) in finalizing that CD. After the CD vote, the editors would fold in the changes made by the CD revisions back into the next WD and continue to produce further WDs.

Obviously, I think that the model as I had understood is better :-). It also happens to be successfully used by a OASIS TC I recently chaired.

Comments? If you think that I am reading the guideline (and the examples in there) more strictly than what was intended, and the model I laid out above is not illegal as such, then I would be quite happy to know that as well.

-- Sanjay