opencsa-ms message

Subject: SCA Workshop Opportunity at Gartner Event

Open CSA Steering Committee Members,
Gartner contacted us last week about a possible SCA workshop opportunity at
their upcoming Gartner Application Architecture, Development & Integration
Summit.  The event will be held June 9-11 in Orlando, Florida
(http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=603607).  Doug Tidwell of IBM has
kindly offered to help us build an agenda (see latest version below).
Please feel free to send Doug any comments on the agenda and/or speaker
suggestions (dtidwell@us.ibm.com).   We welcome the support.   Regards, Jane

Proposed workshop agenda:
*	A very brief history of SOAs - We'll very quickly put SCA in context
with other technologies we've all worked with over the last few years.

*	Why SCA makes life simpler - SCA has a number of benefits, including
its composition model, a single programming model for all kinds of services
and the ability to define and enforce policies independently of the
applications themselves.  We'll look at them here.

*	SCA application diagrams - SCA application diagrams make it easier
to understand composition and assembly, references, interfaces, properties,
etc.  The diagrams we'll look at here describe the sample application we'll
cover in the following section.

*	Code and other details - We'll show them some samples from the
Tuscany Fruit Shop application.  After we show them a simple demo, we'll
have the audience do a hands-on exercise to extend the code we've just shown
them.  We'll stress the ability of an SCA application's infrastructure to
change without affecting the application itself.

*	Customer scenario - This is a summary of a customer using SCA now.
It shows how SCA is being used in the real world.  The customer involved (my
guess is we'll have to talk about them in very generic terms) used SCA as an
evolutionary path to an SOA.  That's a message that has resonated well with
customers.

*	Next steps - We'll end with a list of best practices, advice and
resources, including vendor and open-source implementations of SCA.
Jane Harnad
Manager of Events
OASIS
Work Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
jane.harnad@oasis-open.org

Attend the Open Standards 2008 on "Composability within SOA" in Santa Clara,
CA USA -- 28 April - 1 May 2008  --
http://events.oasis-open.org/home/symposium/2008/