Subject: RE: [opendocument-users] how do I package OpenDocument as a single XML file

Do not put the single XML file in a Zip.  Zip and those file extensions
(OpenDocument 1.0 section 1.7 and Appendix C) appear to be reserved for
packages.

1. Try simply naming the file with an .xml extension and asking
OpenOffice.org 2.0 to open it.  If that fails (e.g., on Windows the program
attempts importing as Microsoft Word 2003 XML), try the next thing.

2. Although it shouldn't work, try using an .odt extension on the XML file
and see if it opens.

3. Another way to see if a product supports the single-file format is to
reverse the process.  Create a document in the desktop application (e.g.,
OpenOffice.org 2.0) and then see if you can save it as an OpenDocument XML
file (not in a package).   With luck, the result should line up with the
OpenDocument specification.  (You might see an unexpected file extension on
what is actually XML.)

I tried (3) with OpenOffice.org 2.0 Writer (On Windows XP SP2) and a file
with text "Hello World!" but I couldn't find anything that worked on the
Save As ... .  There is no separate type from the package types, and the
only XML the program offered to save in was for Microsoft Word 2003 XML.
There is some support for XML filters, but I am not sure that is what is
needed in this case.

So much for experimental desktop science.  I guess you need to ask on the
OpenOffice.org site.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
AIIM DMware Technical Coordinator