Subject: RE: [opendocument-users] how do I package OpenDocument as a single XML file

I tried the XSL that Lars provided.  I was able to install the filter for
both loading and storing, but I couldn't use it without adding a Java
Runtime (JRE) and I'm not ready to do that on my system (installing the J2SE
1.5 SDK is in my job jar).

Some tips on installing the filter
----------------------------------

The filtering is set up (from OpenOffice 2.0 Writer) using the Tools | XML
Filter Settings ... menu item.

Setting up a new filter will require you to browse for the XSL that you want
used.  The XML Filter Settings | New ... | Transformation tab can browse for
filters and it defaults to My Documents on Windows XP, so I added a folder
"My OOo" to my "My Documents" and put flat.xml in there.  This gave

 XSLT for export: C:\Documents and Settings\orcmid\My Documents\My
OOo\flat.xsl
 XSLT for import: C:\Documents and Settings\orcmid\My Documents\My
OOo\flat.xsl

after I browsed to the filter .xsl file for both. I made no other
Transformation settings.

I used the following XML Filter | General tab settings:

 Filter name: ODF Flat XML
 Application: OpenOffice.org Writer (.odt), selected from the drop-down
 Name of file type: ODF Flat XML (this will show up in the File | Open ...
and File | Save As ... dialogs)
 File Extension: odfx

I named the extension as other than "xml" to avoid confusion with any xml
used for other file types (the built-in OOo help warns about this) although
the existing filter for Microsoft Word 2003 XML and Microsoft Excel 2003 XML
are both set to use xml as an extension.  I didn't want to experiment with
multiple use of .xml as a file extension and I chose .odfx instead.
(There's an XML processing-instruction that works on Windows for selecting
among applications that process XML, but I didn't want to mess with that
either.)

Until I selected an Application, the filter case didn't show up in the Save
As ... file-type drop-down inside OpenOffice 2.0 Writer.

That's all I can contribute until I install the JRE [;<).

 - Dennis