Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] Microsoft Puts Up Misstatements About ODF

Hi David, all

David Faure wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 December 2005 21:44, Adam Moore wrote:
>
>>Microsoft has put up misstatements about ODF in their new FAQ on the
>>ECMA Standard.
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/developers/ecmafaq.mspx
>>
>>I am going to try to get a press release out from the OD Fellowship
>>concerning this, but I need a few questions answered if possible.
>>
>>Who was a member of the original committee before it was ratified?
>>What changes were made from the original specification until it was
>>ratified?  You don't have to be specific, but the general areas of
>>importance.
>

> Actually MS isn't so wrong there...
> "The OASIS committee did not focus on the requirements, constraints, and experiences of Microsoft customers."
> That is most certainly true. The format is heavily based on the requirements, constraints, and experiences of
> *Sun* customers and KOffice users and developers though, and nothing says that
> those requirements are totally different. But for sure we didn't target *Microsoft*'s customers.
> The art of implying something without actually saying so...

Your statements leaves the impression that Sun does not consider the
requirements of users of Microsoft office applications for its work in
the OpenDocument TC. That is wrong.

Sun is taking the requirements of MS Office users very serious, and is
for instance delivering MS Office document filters in its office
products for ten years now. Sun of course is taking these users not only
serious in their office products, but of course also in the OpenDocument
TC.

Best regards

Michael Brauer

--
Michael Brauer
Technical Architect Software Engineering