Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] Microsoft Puts Up Misstatements About ODF

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 12:52, Michael Brauer wrote:
> Your statements leaves the impression that Sun does not consider the
> requirements of users of Microsoft office applications for its work in
> the OpenDocument TC. That is wrong.
>
> Sun is taking the requirements of MS Office users very serious, and is
> for instance delivering MS Office document filters in its office
> products for ten years now. Sun of course is taking these users not only
> serious in their office products, but of course also in the OpenDocument
> TC.

This is correct. However nobody could say that the current version of
the OpenDocument specification can model every MSOffice feature.
(For instance remember that I was the one asking for "border around a run of text"
to be added to the spec after 1.0, which is the case now). There are for sure
many other features still missing. However it has to be said that the TC would
be very happy to incorporate proposals for adding those features to OpenDocument,
so the argument from MS is certainly misleading.
The format isn't complete for them? Sure, but so what? We could have worked
together on making it so.