Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] Reference implementation

I think of a reference implementation as something developed in parallel with the standard, which is used to develop and verify the compliance suite, and is often consulted as a tie breaker on questions of interpretation where the spec and compliance tests are silent or ambiguous.

So, speaking for myself, I'd be hesitant to call any implementation an official "reference implementation" until we have an official compliance test suite which we can use to verify its compliance.  Having a reference implementation without an official test suite seems to go against the ancient sailor's advice: "Never go to sea with exactly two compasses".

-Rob

Daniel d'Andrada Tenório de Carvalho <daniel.carvalho@indt.org.br>

12/21/2005 10:33 AM

David Faure <faure@kde.org>
cc
opendocument-users@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [opendocument-users] Reference implementation

Hi David,

David Faure wrote:

> An implementation of ... parsing? rendering? editing?

Rendering, I meant.

> I think OpenOffice.org is generally considered as the reference implementation
> for OpenDocument.

Hmmm... But wouldn't that lead to the conclusion that OpenDocument is
the OO.o/Star Office file format or something like that?

> KOffice is another implementation, but not as complete.

There's also AbiWord (it already have import and will have export on its
next release, version 2.4.2, but not complete either).

Best Regards,
Daniel d'Andrada T. de Carvalho - INdT