Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] ITS implementation in OD

Robert,

I fully understand your position.

I invited Felix Sasaki (the current draft editor @ W3C) to make a presentation about ITS at a "translation and open source" seminar we had in Tokyo last month, held by Japan Jinux User Association and hosted by Sun Japan, and the message was clearly that W3C is waiting for either localization solutions vendors or document format maintainers to make a first step (even at the prototype level).

I was doing a presentation about OmegaT (http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat), as project member, and with native SX*/ODF support since pretty much OmegaT was conceived, we are extremely interested in implementing ITS based translation information parsing. The Japanese language quality resp. at Sun Japan was also there, making a presentation about OLT, and we could all feel that people are waiting for somebody to start something.

I suppose ITS implementation in HTML will be handled by the W3C and as far as DocBook is concerned the relevant groups will handle that, but I am more interested in OD since I use it on a daily basis for translating MS documents (as a matter of fact, we are considering using JOOTT internally to get automatic conversion of MS docs).

Implementing ITS in OD also means getting closer to emulating proprietary translation tools behaviors and with the recent moves to get Trados files available to OmegaT users through OOo/RTFStyler hacks (see LinuxForTranslators list and the OmegaT user group, both @ Yahoo) the community is really in need of a sign from the OD community :)

If there is anything that can be done to implement an ITS prototype in OD, I can guaranty you that OmegaT would support that right away, at least to offer a test platform and see what the possibilities are.

A lot of translation solution (proprietary) vendors are starting to implement OD support, and ITS, once it is finalized will most probably be the next standard to adopt in this field.

Regards,
Jean-Christophe