Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] OpenOffice as vehicle for industry standards

This is an interesting topic.  The ODF TC is currently discussing metadata enhancements to ODF which may make things like this a lot simpler.  There is nothing set in stone at this point, but one idea I've been thinking about is whether we can do interesting things by allowing ODF document templates to have metadata annotations associated with named styles.  These metadata annotations then get associated with content that uses these styles and that provides a hint to an intelligent editor, or an external transformation engine (like XSTL), on how to map the contents of the ODF document into some other schema, like LegalXML or whatever.

-Rob