Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] Re: How to interpret the default-cell-style-name attribute in spreadsheets

Hi Stefan,

I'm chiming in here as an OOoCalc developer.

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 14:38:11 +0200, Stefan Nikolaus wrote:

> Let's have a document consisting of one cell (in A1)

To clarify: the document contains a 1x1 table.

> and the first row has a
> default-cell-style-name attribute="ce1". Looks like this:
>   <row default-cell-style-name="ce1">
>   <cell>1</cell>
>   </row>
>
> And now consider another document which has the same content extended by an
> empty cell:

To clarify: the document contains a 2x1 table.

>   <row default-cell-style-name="ce1">
>   <cell>1</cell>
>   <cell/>
>   </row>
>
> OpenDocument specification, ch. 8.1:
> "Incomplete rows are basically rendered as if they had the necessary number of
> empty cells,"

In both cases there are no empty cells.

> The spreadsheet app should have a dimension of 2x2. Both documents have to
> look the same. This shows, that the @dcsn attribute has to be applied to the
> whole row.

This is a misconception. Your spreadsheet app has a 2x2 dimension, the
table loaded from the document loaded does not.

Citing further from section 8.1:

| incomplete rows are filled with empty cells (just like in an empty
| sheet)

Here the key is "like in an empty sheet", which refers to cells that are
not part of the table (used area) saved in the document and are rendered
the default way the application does. It does not refer to empty
a 3 columns x 2 rows area, and the first row had 3 cell elements, and
the second row had only 2 cell elements, the 3rd omitted cell would not
had to be rendered as if an empty <table:table-cell> was present, but
instead like a cell of an empty sheet.

I agree however that the wording, especially "basically rendered as if
...", is misleading and should be rephrased to clarify on this.

  Eike