Subject: RE: [opendocument-users] RE: Foreign elements and attributes

Hello Jose,

1. With regard to your question about conformance classes below the "pure"
level (we stopped using strict because it is apparently a term of art that
is apparently stricter than the ODF TC intends) which is unfortunately
simply called "conformant".  Since people find it necessary to use a
qualified term, as you did, we should probably pick an official
qualification although neither "pure" nor "minimal" nor even "non-extended"
are strictly accurate as ODF 1.2 is currently defined in draft.

2. There is no meaningful floor conformance level, and there never has been.

   2.1 The OASIS ODF 1.1 Standard specification has this intriguing
sentence: "There are no rules regarding the elements and attributes that
actually have to be supported by conforming applications, except that
applications should not use foreign elements and attributes for features
defined in the OpenDocument schema" (last paragraph of section 1.5).
There's a reference to ODF 1.1 Appendix D, but that has no normative effect.

   2.2 The current ODF 1.2 Committee Draft that people have been discussing
asserts (section 1.4.4 Consumer Conformance statement P1.1) that a
Conforming Open Document Consumer "SHALL be able to parse and interpret
OpenDocument documents of one or more of the document types defined by this
specification (section 2.4) any of which are represented in packages, but it
NEED NOT interpret the semantics of all elements, attributes and attribute
values."  (Document types are not explicitly defined in 2.4, or anywhere
else, but that is a different problem.)

3. You may find it useful to know that there is a companion OASIS ODF
Interoperability and Conformance (OIC) TC that is struggling to discern what
the state of ODF interoperability and conformance is and what can be done to
provide test definitions and other clarifications, including defined
profiles, to improve that state.  There's more at
<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/oic>.  The charter for the OIC TC
shows promise for addressing some of your concerns.

It's not clear that the OIC TC, started up at the end of 2008, can provide
useful results fast enough to influence ODF 1.2 in any significant way.

 - Dennis

This message is my personal observation and any similarity to an official
position of the ODF TC or of OASIS is purely coincidental.  Were there such
an official position, there'd be provision of a link to the official minutes
or other approved document where the official position is expressed.

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org