Subject: RE: [opendocument-users] RE: office-comment text:id vs xml:id (ODF 1.2CD01)

Rick,

Thanks for the analysis.  That clarifies a lot.

I think the situation we are in is that there is an attempt to accomplish
(3) or (4) on your list, but no effort to reconcile the uniqueness
constraints, referential integrity, and what permissible references to
particular "ids" are in the ODF document structure.

My personal preference is for (3), keeping xml:id as the known ID for use as
a fragment identifier that can be relied upon in URIs and some feature that
needs to do that can count on using an xml:id if it is there or inserting an
xml:id if it isn't, without interfering with any other referential integrity
constraints that may subsist in the ODF document model.

But the greater challenge is knowing what the uniqueness and referential
integrity constraints are that are currently tacit and inexplicable in the
ODF specification.  Without that, I don't think we know how to establish a
specified behavior and make a sane and safe choice, whichever the case is.
There is no way to reliably figure this out from the specification so we are
going to have to do some implementation spelunking.

I also think we need to be more serious about down-level compatibility as
well as upward compatibility, in the 1.x progression.

Sounds like an over-constrained problem and one that I have no insight into,
having no ODF implementation to support.

 - Dennis