Subject: RE: [opendocument-users] Improvement submissions to the ODF-TC?

I assume you mean you don't need to be CC'd and that you don't want
direct-only responses.

Your mileage will vary on how easy it is to check all of the proposals and
discussions for a public observer who has not been participating all along.

It is my personal view that this is not the place to bring claims made by
any implementers with regard to the basis for their implementation
decisions, insofar as you expect the ODF TC to be able to comment.    It
might be more valuable to consult with implementers directly and request
their provision of concrete details and supporting materials for your
independent review, if that is the kind of information you are looking for.

I have provided my personal observations on available material below.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
------------------
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org

CURRENTLY AVAILABLE MATERIALS

A number of the deficiencies that have been noted in ODF 1.1 and earlier may
have been addressed in the work on ODF 1.2, which is still underway on the
committee.  Although we have not submitted any of ODF 1.2 to public review
at this point, we are at Committee Draft 02 for Part 1, and we have working
drafts for Part 2 (OpenFormula) and Part 3 (Packages).  Part 1 is akin to
ODF 1.1 in coverage, although significantly re-organized and with the
Packages material separated out into the separate Part 3 document.  Also, we
have been receiving comments from various observers and we will be
addressing those comments in our work to bring the three parts of ODF 1.2 to
a stage that we feel is ready for an official public review and advancing
from there toward Committee Specifications and ultimate extensive review and
adoption as an OASIS Standard some time after that.

You can find links to the latest Committee Draft and recent working drafts
for other parts on the ODF TC page, under "Open Document v1.2
Specification",
<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office#odf12>.

HOW TO FIND PROPOSALS AND ALL DISCUSSIONS

A list of proposals is available on the ODF TC Wiki, at
<http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/List_of_Proposals>.  I can't guarantee
its completeness and I don't know if the status of proposals has been
maintained as we have jumped into reviewing and polishing the ODF 1.2
drafts.

At the end of 2008, we conducted a triage exercise to find the 5 or so
proposals that people felt were most critical to include in ODF 1.2, and we
processed those.  This is the announcement of the selection:
 <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200812/msg00156.html>.
We had a reduced list of candidates, and we then narrowed down to the top
picks.  There were many proposals that were not on the reduced list,
sometimes by agreeing that some recent proposals would be offered for
consideration in ODF-next rather than developed in detail for ODF 1.2.

Please note that proposals, usually for features, sometimes for
improvements, are different than defect reports.  Defect reports are
appropriate at any time, and the public comment list is how we receive those
(as well as suggestions) from the public, such as yourself.  Internal defect
reports and all contributions from ODF TC members (who are here as
individuals and vote individually, not as companies, by the way) are done on
the TC mailing list and their discussion are found on the ODF TC mailing
list archive.  The archive of that list is available on-line:
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/>.

OTHER FEEDBACK, PUBLIC COMMENTS, AND DEFECT/ISSUE HANDLING

In going through the public comments received so far, the ODF TC is
establishing an issue-processing system that will provide more visibility
and manageability on the identification and resolution of issues in the
specifications, with focus on ODF 1.2 but also with consideration of
reported defects in previous versions.  I am not sure whether the issue
system is visible to the public.  Try
<http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE>.  If you are able to
access the Issue Tracker, please note that this is in an extremely
preliminary state as we configure and populate it for processing of the
actual issues.  As part of extracting a mailing list into the issue tracker,
a large number of comments that do not reflect issues are included.  The ODF
TC will be cleaning that up as we prepare for the extensive public reviews
of ODF 1.2 drafts.