Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] New question (2): Reference implementation?

"Cody, John (OFT)" <John.Cody@oft.state.ny.us> wrote on 05/15/2009
03:08:30 PM:

> [opendocument-users] New question (2):  Reference implementation?
>
> (Straightforward question, I hope, and hopefully will not engender
> off-topic disagreeability):
>
>         -- Does ODF have a reference implementation?

OASIS process does not have the concept of a "reference implementation",
so there is nothing that can formally be called a "reference
implementation".

Whether there is an application that de facto serves that role depends on
how you are using that term.

Most definitions use "reference implementation" as one of three artifacts,
along with a standard and a test suite.  The reference implementation is
then typically an open (as in open source) implementation of the standard
that passes the test suite.  We're in the process of developing a test
suite for ODF, and we have a number of open source implementations.  So I
think we end up with a reference implementation in the end, even if our
formal process does not make that designation.

-Rob