Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] New question (2): Reference implementation?

marbux <marbux@gmail.com> wrote on 05/17/2009 07:00:36 PM:

> <http://www.universal-interop-council.org/node/41>. Notably, there is
> no conformity requirement specifying that things must be done as
> OpenOffice.org does, so the clear answer is that there is no reference
> implementation. The question was not ambiguous as Rob suggests.

I think you have that backwards, Paul.  A reference implementation
(RI)does not define conformance, and is not referred to in a conformance
clause.  An RI is a model implementation, open to inspection, that
implements a standard fully, and conforms to that standard.  I don't think
you'll find it mentioned in JTC1 Directives because it is not really a
part of the formal international standardization system.

In any case, just because you, or Dave, do not like a conformance clause,
doesn't mean it ceases to exist.  There are a lot of things I don't like,
but they still exist, much to my perpetual annoyance.  In any case, the
text, as written, has been approved by OASIS twice and by ISO once.  I
value your opinion, as always, but yours is not the only interpretation on
the subject.  We've debated this many times, and it ends with my
observation that if we took your interpretation of of WTO requirements,
then there would have no valid tech standards at all today.  And then you
quote from "A Man for All Seasons" and so on, and so on.  Why don't we
just pretend we've already gone through that dance already, agree to
disagree, and move on to the next topic.

-Rob