Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] New question (2): Reference implementation?

Cody, John (OFT) scripsit:

> No offense intended at all, but I am trying to get simple, clear
> answers here.  Remember in law school, when they taught us we should
> be able to explain our answers to our grandmothers?  My grandmother
> would have stopped you at "I don't know of a relevant definition of
> "reference implementation" that is defined by law" and said, "So,
> that's the answer then, ey?"

If you can explain to your grandmother, or anybody else, exactly what is
and what is not "fair use" in U.S. copyright law, you're doing a better
job than the Supremes are.  Some things are intentionally not bright-line.

> 1.  You said you are not aware of a legal definition of "reference
> implementation."  Then how can "governing law" forbid them, as you say,
> if it doesn't even define them?

"Fair use" is undefined, but infringing use which is not fair is
(civilly) punished.  Q.E.D.

IANAL, TINLA.  But it is not UPL either.

--
John Cowan              cowan@ccil.org          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Historians aren't constantly confronted with people who carry on