Subject: RE: [opendocument-users] Open Government Dialogue on Document Formats

See OMB circular A-119.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars/a119/a119.html

Although this refers to use in "procurement and regulatory" activities,
certain geospatial agencies use this directive to justify participation in
ISO TC/211 for the development of the ISO 19100 series of voluntary
consensus standards, and subsequently advocating the adoption thereof. The
geospatial app domain is highly analgous to the office app domain, in that
there is only one major commercial player and information is beginning to
transition from proprietary storage/transaction formats to open ones.

Now if only we had a gov't agency for office documents... :)

Bryce

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 06/01/2009
04:50:06 PM:

> This seems to confuse open source and open standards.  Furthermore,
> it seems to use the Open Source OpenOffice.org software as an
> example, rather than the OASIS Open Document Format.
>
> Maybe this could be tidied up?  (I see there is a comment there
> about this on the first link.)  It strikes me that the key idea for
> open government is the use of open formats, and that we should be
> precise about that.  (Having there be open-source implementations be
> available is an interesting secondary criterion, but we should not
> collapse the two together, in my opinion.)
>
>  - Dennis

Formats