Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] simple OO.org document goes awry in MS Office 2007 w/SP2 - what went wrong?

Would you mind sharing the ODT file? Right now we are working on these
issues in The Hague.

Jan
--
Jan H Wildeboer          |
EMEA Open Source Affairs | Office: +49 (0)89 205071-207
Red Hat GmbH             | Mobile: +49 (0)174 33 23 249
Otto-Hahn-Str.20         | Fax:    +49 (0)89 205071-111
D-85609 Dornach/Munich   | eMail:  jan.wildeboer@redhat.com

Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Otto-Hahn-Strasse 20, 85609 Dornach bei Muenchen
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 153243
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Brendan Lane,Charlie Peters,Michael Cunningham,
Charles Cachera

----- Original Message -----
From: Cody, John (OFT) <John.Cody@cio.ny.gov>
To: opendocument-users@lists.oasis-open.org
<opendocument-users@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Mon Jun 15 15:40:50 2009
Subject: [opendocument-users] simple OO.org document goes awry in MS Office
2007 w/SP2 - what went wrong?

I have created a very simple text document in OpenOffice.org 3.1.  It has
text, columns, graphics boxes, and images (real images, not links), and
that's all.  The images and graphics boxes are anchored to their pages.
This was my first time using version 3.1.  The OpenOffice program was easy
to use, did everything I needed it to, and worked very well.  I saved the
document as an ODF text document (.odt).

I tried opening the document in Microsoft Word 2007 w/SP 2.  (Some of the
people with whom I will share this document still use that program).  Many
images are completely missing.  Most of the graphics boxes are missing.  The
spacing and formatting is all shot to heck.

Microsoft apparently went to great lengths to ensure its implementation of
ODF would correctly interpret ODF documents created in different software
programs.  It tested hundreds of thousands of documents to ensure
compatability.  See:
http://blogs.msdn.com/dmahugh/archive/2009/06/14/testing-office-s-odf-implementation.aspx

But my first test word-processing document went horribly awry, and it is a
very simple document.

What went wrong?  Is there anything I should be doing in particular when I
draft documents in OO.org 3.1 that will help the document be interpreted
better by MS Office 2007 SP2?

I realize these are application-specific questions.  But this is a list for
users of the Open Document Format, and OO.org is for all practical purposes
the reference implementation of ODF, so it seemed appropriate to ask that
question here.

Thank you for any suggestions, John C.

John C. Cody, Associate Counsel
Office of the NYS Chief Information Officer/NYS Office for Technology
http://www.cio.ny.gov<http://www.oft.state.ny.us>
[The statements expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect
the policies, practices or opinions of my employer or anyone else.  Nothing
herein constitutes legal advice - if you need legal advice, please consult
your own attorney.]

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send
it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
the e-mail from your system.