Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] simple OO.org document goes awry in MS Office 2007 w/SP2 - what went wrong?

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Jan Wildeboer<jwildebo@redhat.com> wrote:

> However - it would be of great use to have something to work with - while I
> understand that John cannot share the document ATM, it makes support almost
> impossible as we cannot really see the problem(s).

Jan, Corel has a utility for WordPerfect documents that might prove
useful in these kinds of situations if an equivalent were developed
for ODF. The tool, WPLook, amongst other features produces a copy of a
WPD document with all printing characters replaced by the letter "x"
but leaves the markup intact.  That allows users to submit otherwise
confidential documents for troubleshooting.

The same tool also has other features as well, such as the ability to
strip document metadata, revision history, etc. This web page has
links for downloading the utility, and some mostly user-generated
documentation, etc.
<http://www.wpuniverse.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=4491>.

That would not cure the problem if graphic images are included in the
document that are also confidential. But it wouldn't be hugely
burdensome for the user to substitute other images in a copy of the
document before generating the obscured obscured version.

WPLook is a great support tool, particularly when problem documents
are confidential. It deserves imitation for ODF.

Best regards,

Paul E. Merrell, J.D. (Marbux)

--
Universal Interoperability Council