Subject: RE: [opendocument-users] simple OO.org document goes awry in MS Office 2007w/SP2 - what went wrong?

My opinion:  I never expect an end user to understand the ODF standard any
more than I'd expect an FM  radio listener to understand the exact
parameters of frequency modulation.  On the other hand, I'd expect vendors
of radio broadcast equipment and receivers to have intimate knowledge of
the relevant standards. Similarly, the technical details of file formats
should be invisible to the end user.

So any time the document does not interoperable, the end user cannot tell
whether it is a bug in the authoring application, or a bug in the
destination application, and whether any of these bugs are related to the
standard.  The best thing to do is report it to the the vendors involved
in the transaction, let them debug the issue.  If it ends up to be an
issue in the ODF standard, then they should be able to propose any changes
necessary.  In this particular cases, both vendors participate on the ODF
TC, so they have direct access to make such technical proposals.

-Rob

system.