Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] simple OO.org document goes awry in MS Office2007 w/SP2 - what went wrong?

marbux <marbux@gmail.com> wrote on 06/16/2009 01:16:31 PM:

> Re: [opendocument-users] simple OO.org document goes awry in MS

> Office 2007 w/SP2 - what went wrong?
>
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:37 AM, <robert_weir@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > So any time the document does not interoperable, the end user cannot
tell
> > whether it is a bug in the authoring application, or a bug in the
> > destination application, and whether any of these bugs are related to
the
> > standard.  The best thing to do is report it to the the vendors
involved
> > in the transaction, let them debug the issue.  If it ends up to be an
> > issue in the ODF standard, then they should be able to propose any
changes
> > necessary.  In this particular cases, both vendors participate on the
ODF
> > TC, so they have direct access to make such technical proposals.
>
> So I understand it, are you saying that every bug report I or anyone
> else sends you on an interop failure between Lotus Symphony and other
> ODF implementations will result in you promptly submitting a TC
> proposal to fix the relevant spec(s) with as many mandatory interop
> requirements as are needed to remove the relevant ambiguity if the
> failure is due to an ambiguity or other flaw in the spec, Rob? And
> that you'll shepherd that proposal through the TC and implement the
> fix?

If you find an interop bug, then you can certainly submit a defect report
online at the support forums at http://symphony.lotus.com

Of course, those with a support contract will get a more rapid response.
But if you write up a defect report, preferably with an example file, then
it will certainly be looked at.

As for the ODF Plugfest, we tested a number of multi-vendor interop
scenarios, found a few bugs, but almost all of them were application
errors.  I still need to write up the details on the wiki (we were having
network connectivity problems), but all the issues we found were traced to
their causes and the only ones that I noticed that were due to issues in
the standard were issues that we already knew about and have already fixed
in ODF 1.2.

In any case, you should not expect the ODF TC to take raw customer interop
bug reports any more than you would expect the FCC to answer a call from a
consumer with a broken radio.  You need to talk to your vendor first.

-Rob