Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] simple OO.org document goes awry in MS Office 2007 w/SP2 - what went wrong?

Just to clarify, what interest would a big vendor have in locking you into a free application? An open source application?

Sure ODF isn't perfect. Nor is my motorcycle and BMW have been making those for 86 years. But ODF is the best we have ever had (like my motorcycle ;) ). I use my docs in OpenOffice and Google docs, I view them via my email system and I've worked effectively with people using MS Office 2k3 and the Sun plugin. Once KOffice 2 stabilises I expect to be able to use them without significant issue in that too. I am certain that 100% interoperability is not achievable[1], so if I need them to be WISIWYS I PDF them.

Standardise on ODF 1.1 and get the vendors to agree on an interoperable interpretation through the power of the market. Get ODF1.2 out of the door ASAP if nothing else for OpenFormula (a formula language I am comfortable both works, has the features it needs and is mathematically sound) then see what needs to be added to future versions to make conformance and interoperability balance.

Ever so now again I uncover a streak of pragmatism :)

Regards

Chris

[1] 100% interoperability. What I saw is what you see (WISIWYS) is how an end-user understands it. Can't even be achieved with same versions of the same office suite (think fonts and spacing) and printing (think print margins and feeder offsets) without significant preparation work and per-agreements.

--
Chris Puttick
CIO

----- "marbux" <marbux@gmail.com> wrote: