Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] simple OO.org document goes awry in MS Office 2007 w/SP2 - what went wrong?

Hi Doug,

Doug Mahugh wrote:
> In this particular case (the trailing slash on embedded objects), we
> have notes for one implementation stating that it follows the
> standard, but that doesn't add much information to the discussion
> because that approach was already documented in the standard itself.

Don't your implementor notes on this point say something like "We also
accept it without the trailing slash when reading"? That kind of
information can also be useful. Especially when using plugfest-like
scenarios when you are trying to figure out why something will load in
one application but not in another.

> Implementer notes for those implementations that do not follow the
> standard would be even more useful to current and future
> implementers.

Implementor notes for older applications would certainly make it easier
to figure out what the old ODF bugs were. It can help to determine what
things you need to account for when you want to make your own
application "liberal in what you accept" with existing documents.

If the other implementors had written implementor notes documenting
every element like MS has done, then they would probably have found this
particular bug before shipping. In that regard I think that just the act
of writing implementor notes can help developers debug their applications.

--
Sander Marechal
Officeshots.org