Subject: RE: [opendocument-users] What this list is for

Rob:

I was going by this description of the purpose of this list:

"A public, unmoderated mailing list 'opendocument-users' has been created that provides an open forum for developers AND USERS to exchange ideas and information on implementing and adopting OASIS OpenDocument." (emphasis added)

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200511/msg00004.html

That's why I was posting a user inquiry here.

To me, it looked like the departure from the list's purpose occurred not when the list was used by ODF users, but when it went off into discussions unrelated to "ideas and information on implementing and adopting OASIS OpenDocument."

But if this list definitively is for developers only I will of course depart, thanks.  Can you please confirm?  Thanks, JC

John C. Cody, Associate Counsel
Office of the NYS Chief Information Officer/NYS Office for Technology
http://www.cio.ny.gov
[The statements expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the policies, practices or opinions of my employer or anyone else.  Nothing herein constitutes legal advice - if you need legal advice, please consult your own attorney.]

-----Original Message-----
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 4:06 PM
To: opendocument-users@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [opendocument-users] What this list is for

As stated on the TC's home page, this list (opendocument-users) is "an open forum for developers to exchange ideas and information on implementing the office OASIS Standard ".  Ideally, the conversations here would be developer-oriented and about implementing ODF.

Other lists that may be of interest to list participants include:

office-comment@lists.oasis-open.org is for submitting comments (proposals/defect reports) on the ODF standard

oic-comment@lists.oasis-open.org is for submitting comments on the work of the OIC TC, which at this point is test suites and application scenarios

Although I am flattered that some people seem to think that I personally control the entire ODF universe from an underground bunker someplace in Hell, I assure you that there are many people working on several loosely-coordinated interop initiatives in the ODF TC, the OIC TC , the Open Doc Society, BrowserShots.org and JTC1/SC34.  If you are interested in more detailed (and productive) interop discussions then please join the plugfest list above, or even consider joining the OIC TC.  There is certainly plenty of work to do.

Regards,

-Rob