Subject: RE: [opendocument-users] What this list is for

I was using the definition given on the ODF TC's homepage:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office#feedback

It is annoying that these two definitions are not identical.

For some XML standards, say DocBook or DITA, there are users that edit the
XML directly.  So they are "users" of the standard.  And then there are
tool authors who write tools to automate use of these standards.  In the
case of ODF, no one writes ODF by hand.  So there are no "ODF users" in
the same way there are DITA or DocBook users.  There are OpenOffice.org
users and Symphony users, etc.  And there are ODF adopters.  But I think
that is a different kind of thing.

In any case, going forward we can slice and dice these lists as we want.
So if people are happy in general with having this list as it is, and
discussing user (in the broader sense) and development topics related to
ODF, then we can do that.  Or we can create a separate opendocument-dev
mailing list specifically for ODF programmability.  We could even have an
opendocument-adoption list, if that is needed.

I don't want to have an unneeded proliferation of lists, but I have
received some notes from people saying that are not happy with the
off-topic side discussions on the list at present.

-Rob

"Cody, John (OFT)" <John.Cody@cio.ny.gov> wrote on 06/19/2009 10:20:50 PM:

> Rob:
>
> I was going by this description of the purpose of this list:
>
> "A public, unmoderated mailing list 'opendocument-users' has been
> created that provides an open forum for developers AND USERS to
> exchange ideas and information on implementing and adopting OASIS
> OpenDocument." (emphasis added)
>
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200511/msg00004.html
>
> That's why I was posting a user inquiry here.
>
> To me, it looked like the departure from the list's purpose occurred
> not when the list was used by ODF users, but when it went off into
> discussions unrelated to "ideas and information on implementing and
> adopting OASIS OpenDocument."
>
> But if this list definitively is for developers only I will of
> course depart, thanks.  Can you please confirm?  Thanks, JC

> John C. Cody, Associate Counsel
> Office of the NYS Chief Information Officer/NYS Office for Technology
> http://www.cio.ny.gov
> [The statements expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily
> reflect the policies, practices or opinions of my employer or anyone
> else.  Nothing herein constitutes legal advice - if you need legal
> advice, please consult your own attorney.]

ODF.

> Other lists that may be of interest to list participants include:
>
> office-comment@lists.oasis-open.org is for submitting comments
> (proposals/defect reports) on the ODF standard
>
> oic-comment@lists.oasis-open.org is for submitting comments on the
> work of the OIC TC, which at this point is test suites and
> application scenarios

> the recent plugfests and to help organize ongoing efforts related to
> ODF interoperability, aside from those already covered by the above two
TCs.

opendocument-users-help@lists.oasis-open.org