Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] Guidance for using cells in tables (ODF Spreadsheets)

Jesper Lund Stocholm <4a4553504552@gmail.com> wrote on 10/08/2009 04:11:19
PM:

> I was looking for some guidance in the spec along the lines of "if the
> content in a paragraph of the cell has been qualified in a
> the content itself when evaluating the value of the cell".

But even that won't work, because a user could have modified the value in
the cell of the spreadsheet so it bears no relationship to the value that
was stored in the XML originally.  In the end, formula evaluation is a
runtime operation that operates on runtime state, which may be derived
from the document's XML, but may also derive from user input, database
queries, runtime automation, etc.  But you can't just equate the document
and runtime spaces.

The most we could attempt is how the _initial_ runtime state is derived
from the document.  But even that varies from implementation to
implementation.  Or even within the same implementation.  Excel for
example has a "manual recalculation" option.  If enabled the spreadsheet
does not recalc on opening.  So the cell with NOW() would bear the old
time stamp.

-Rob