orms message

Subject: draft minutes of 16 July 2008 conference call.

Minutes of 7/16/2008 ORMS conference call

Attendees:

Mahalingam Mani (Mani)

Jeffrey Broberg

Luis Nardin

Daniela Bourges Waldegg (DB)

Michael McIntosh (Mike)

Anthony Nadalin (Tony)

Henrik Biering (Henrik)

John Bradley

Paul Trevithick* (Paul)

Jeff Hodges

Dorothy Gellert (DG)

Nat Sakimura

Tatsuki Sakushima

Waiting for quorum - meeting starts @2:11pmPT

[Roll call]

0. Call to order

  - Verify Minute Taker (Mani)

  - Roll Call

1. Status Report and Discussion on Terminology Glossary creation

  -Stop by now and Move on to an Abstruct Model creation discussion?

  -Or keep on researching? How?

[no discussion on this topic]

2. Status Report and Discussion on Use Cases

2a. Introduction and explanation of use cases posted on wiki

Nat: status report on discussion and use-cases; any new use-cases?

Mani: Giles added 3 use-cases

Henrik: I added one some resemblance with other use-cases (esp #6). upto reputers to establish criteria on which to be reputed; also upto reputees to include criteria on which they wish to be reputed.

Nat: reputee can bias scores if allowed to establish criteria

Henrik: it is a bias as well as choice (applicable in some professions) by which to evaluate.(e.g., would the employer pay contractor the money w/o any trouble).

Ø       different people have different criteria and evaluate them differently.

DG: like the idea. However, confused, since algorithm calculation is out of scope, how will algorithm be able to handle criteria from both sources?

Henrik: re-clarifies the use-cases.

DG: agrees. (but still does not sound convinced)

Nat: reputation calculator has to take inputs from both sources.

Henrik: Different criteria.

Nat: Beneficial for wiki-readers; to have specific examples in scenario. (clarifies use-cases).

henrik: Maybe i should write down the examples.

nat: yes, very helpful.

nat: any other discussion?

Paul: question on scope. i can think of following use-cases:

Ø       tracking behavior between people; attempting to measure social capital between people in electronic collaboration environment: between people; input to reputation algorithm will be characterization of behavior;

o        Frequency (of response to email/IM/chat), promptness, nature of response/initiatives, dis/agreement to topics, Claims; and other traits (of e-interaction).

does group feel it is too far afield (derived from monitoring behavior)?

DB: i think it is in scope.

DG agrees too.

Paul: I will add use-cases

Nat: please.; any other discussion on this use-case?

 2b. How to address Use Cases Document(one of deliverables in Charter)

 2c. What is required to start creating this document?

Nat: next sub-item - use-case doc.; first deliverable for the TC.

DB: is there a target date?

Nat: i think so. per charter july 2008; hoping Bill Barnhill (editor) to the use-cases were here.

(Mike joins)

DB: (1). Reputations alone (inputs & outputs); many instances are already there.

       (2). Another is portable reputation (how are they exchanged and used in shared systems)

DG: (1) also needs xml schema for reputation; still has to be in some format. Don’t see

DB: Not necessary for data to have a std. schema if they stay in the same system (as they do in 1) - no need for std.

DG: but we would want them to be the same (xml) format.

DB: but they are different; objective is to find what we want to achieve; the question is not about format.

DG: xml schema will still be valid in std. since this will be needed to achieve (2)

Nat: If it makes sense, in picking through the model.

DB: clarifying: input data instead of result of computation.

DG: then, should we avoid cosnidering (1)?

DB: no; use-cases for (2) may happen in future. (we will still need to work on (1) to start with).

DB: can't take reputation handling methodology out of vendor systems today. Take input data; and certain type of value they compute. It is important for oasis to understand the kind of data handled.

DG: to define description of data; reaction is likely to be negative; vendors may want to define their own format; it is hard to define a uniform format.

DB: we want to model as much as possible - when working on a schema.

DG: maybe possible.

DB: don't oppose exchangeable to portable; it is about being 'open'

Nat: do you suggest tagging use-cases for 'portability'?

DB: yes; serves to help define the XML schema and its scope.

Nat: anything more?

DB: concerned about (use-cases doc.) deadline - end-july; (will be on vacation next week or so)

N: concerned. should I extend?

Mani: good to extend.

DG agrees

Nat: discuss on mailing list and see what the larger audience think (small attendance today)

Mani: discuss in list - and check what date editor is comfortable with on deadline or how much more time is required for a strawman draft doc.

Nat: take to mailing list?

Mani: yes.

3. Status Report on a common UML tool

  - Decision of which tool we adopt

Nat: status report on common UML tool - take to mailing list and finalize next call.

Mani agrees.

4. Discussion on a model creation work

  - What will be required to start this?

    - Requirement document creation comes first?

  - A part of framework creation(one of deliverables in Charter)?

Nat: discussion of model creation: take to mailing list as well.

5. Status Report on Document Version Control

     There was an email from JeffH (no response from JeffH)

o        Nat: the document looks sound. please read and comment (list).

o        Next week or week after we should finalize.

6. Other Business

o        f2f

 (if you have preference - pass on to email list).

o        Symposium

John: About symposium - i am in committee. what do we want done?

John: don't want to take over a slot somebody else is willing to fill.

Nat: someone interested in speaking for/on ORMS? please speak up in mailing list.

Tony (just joined late): there's a w3c meeting

Nat: thin attendance today. (most discussion referred to email list).

Tony: Many are at w3c meeting perhaps.

Nat: any comments before adjourning? hearing none (adjourned) 3pmPT.