orms message

Subject: RE: [orms] Groups - Memo on the discussion for F2F of ORMS TC on Nov. 10, 2008 (ORMS-20081110.doc) uploaded

Nat,

I took a look at the doc. I think the mathematical model is incisive and
apt as far as a reference model for Trust Score is set up for
discussion.

I also think the Trust-score model requirements, protocol requirements
are a good start and necessary. Further analysis and review should tell
if they are sufficient, as we go along.

I also agree with the refinement to the definition of Reputation - with
one caveat:

"Reputation is a subjective evaluation of the assertion about a subject
being true  based on factual and/or subjective data about it, and is
used as one of the factors for establishing trust on that subject for a
specific purpose."

Did you mean to say subjective evaluation or 'objective evaluation'?
After all, if we had a subjective evaluation - we can throw some
quantitative value at it and forget about a formal math-model. True that
the assertion is based on a factual (binary) data or subjective (n a
non-binary scale) data  which is perhaps based on an empirical model.

Also - along the lines of the question I raised towards the end of f2f
(which I later tried to understand myself :)) shouldn't there be a
requirement to ensure reproducibility of the result - given identical
inputs?

For that reason I propose that the definition of Reputation Score:

"A Reputation Score, z in Z, is a subjective probability assigned by the
Reputation Engine for the assertion being true."

be modified by replacing "subjective" with "statistical" or empirical (I
am still unsure which one is appropriate).

What is also not clear is how the normalization properties of the model
provable -
the intent of the model being to make portability meaningful.

Regards,
-mani