Subject: Consumer/provider vs Client/server

Two more arguments for consumer/provider over client/server:

1. Consumer/provider allows verb forms "to consume [OSLC/domain]" and "to provide [OSLC/domain]". Client/server does not have matching verbs. At least not for client side, and "to serve" doesn't necessarily imply the same as "to provide".

2. Registries. In the case where a provider is adding resources to a registry, rather than acting as the server itself (so the provider PUTs or POSTs resources to a registry, and the consumer GETs them from the registry) then the "provider" is a "client" to the registry, and the "consumer" is a "client" to the registry - the "registry" is a server to both, but may or may not be seen as the "provider". (The client hopefully doesn't need to know the difference, but the provider is the one responsible for fulfilling the requirements of the domain spec(s), not the registry.)
I don't know how well we support this scenario, but I believe it has been mentioned a couple of times before in the Automation WG.

So then "client" and "server" (in their HTTP sense) would refer to the two parties involved in any given HTTP request/response (we wouldn't have to use these often)
And "consumer" and "provider" would refer to the roles and responsibilities within the OSLC core and domain specs.

Martin Pain
Software Developer - Green Hat
Rational Test Virtualization Server, Rational Test Control Panel
OASIS Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration - Automation technical committee chair

E-mail: martinpain@uk.ibm.com
Find me on:
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=99869908 and within IBM on: IBM Connections: https://w3-connections.ibm.com/profiles/html/profileView.do?userid=12c849c0-ddd5-1030-9b5f-d70a3a891b7f
IBM