Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Proposal for HTTP header Configuration-Context (was: [oslc-core] Agenda for 15 May 2014)

+1 for Configuration-Context over the OSLC-prefixed alternative, assuming we keep it.

If "communicating the configuration context to be used for the request" means that the header value is a URI, then you might re-use the existing Link header instead [1].  A very low overhead way to do so is to use your own URI as the link relation type; that path requires zero interaction with IANA and IETF.  If you want a "token" as a link relation type (e.g. configuration-context, like meta, or type, [2]) then there is a registration process described in [1] that nets out to IETF expert review via email.  If you go the token path, fair warning that "context" has an existing meaning in [1] so it's likely to cause at least some confusion; many of the tokens in [2] contain 'context' in their description for that reason.

If you proceed with the original option of minting a new header, *and* if OASIS is a standards body that IETF recognizes (does not seem like a scary list [3] -> [4] but would need due diligence; Chet might know if this has already a well-trodden path at the .org level), there is a registration and review process similar to registering a link relation type.  It might get a bit more scrutiny, but that's just a feeling on my part from the LDP-related IETF work.  If OASIS does not "count", you'd need an RFC in IETF as I read [3].

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988
[2] http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xml
[3] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3864#section-4.3
[4]  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2026#section-7 and http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2026#section-10

Best Regards, John

Voice US 845-435-9470  BluePages
Cloud and Smarter Infrastructure OSLC Lead