Subject: Choice for Configuration context request headder (was: [oslc-core] Agenda for 15 May 2014)

(Side point: please change the subjects of emails to match the subject of the discussion.  We all get way too many emails to have to dig through to see what it is really about, thanks.)

Also, this was associated with Ian's assigned action from the May 15th meeting [1]

[1]: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/oslc-core/Meetings/Telecon2014.05.15#Configuration-ContextheaderfromNicksemail

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

From:        Ian Green1 <ian.green@uk.ibm.com>
To:        oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc:        Nick Crossley/Irvine/IBM@IBMUS
Date:        05/15/2014 11:57 AM
Subject:        Re: [oslc-core] Agenda for 15 May 2014
Sent by:        <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>

This topic  was discussed on the conf. call earlier today where John suggestion another option which is to instead use a Link header with a rel which described the configuration context.

If we define a new http header, servers are able to use Vary header to influence how caches deal with entries that are configuration-sensitive.  for example:

       Vary: X-OSLC-Configuration-Context

means that http caches should not use entries that have a different : X-OSLC-Configuration-Context header value.

Using Link header would be expressed as

       Vary: Link

But this has a broader scope since Link values have meaning outside of CM.  I think has some bearing on the decision on whether or not to use Link or mint a fresh header.

best wishes,
  -ian

ian.green@uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM@IBMGB)
IBM Rational

http://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/message-headers.xhtml.

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oslc-core/Meetings/Telecon2014.05.15

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oslc-core/event.php?

http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/oslc
> Agenda

> Roll Call
> Approval of Minutes of 1 May 2014

> Next call: 29 May
> Namespaces for OSLC-affiliated TCs - Vocabulary URIs

> Resource preview updates
> Discuss Document and Specification Roadmap timetable: +2 months
> delay (dealing with conferences and summary breaks)
> Any other business
> Adjourn
> --
> Arnaud  Le Hors - Software Standards Architect - IBM Software Group

Unless stated otherwise above: