Subject: Namespace for OSLC Availability (Automation) spec

There is work going on in the OSLC Automation WG (at open-services.net) to develop a vocabulary and specification for automation for control of high availability of IT services/resources.

The most recent shared draft of the work is here: http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/Availability-Specification/ (although there are some changes being worked on as a result of the most recent feedback & discussions that are not represented in that draft - in particular, that fact affects this email as some of the predicates are being removed because the in-scope scenarios do not require them, so not all of the predicates in that draft will be being added to a vocabulary).

A question has come up over what namespace this specification should use for its vocabulary. The options that I'm aware of are:
1) Use the OSLC Automation namespace: http://open-services.net/ns/auto#
2) Create a new namespace for availability in open-services.net, e.g: http://open-services.net/ns/availability#
3) Use the Common IT Resource Type Vocabulary [1]: http://open-services.net/ns/crtv#
4) Create a new namespace for availability in oasis-open.org, e.g. http://docs.oasis-open.org/oslc-core/ns/availability or http://docs.oasis-open.org/oslc-automation/ns/availability

The issues that affect this choice:
A) This is a 2.0 spec being developed at open-services.net (which is why I have sent this to the maintenance-mode OSLC Core WG there) so an OASIS namespace is probably not appropriate.
B) As development of this spec has taken longer than expected, it has been suggested we move it to the OASIS OSLC Automation TC. No decision has yet been made. (I have copied the OSLC Core TC @ OASIS on this email, for this reason and because it is active.) And if we do move to OASIS, the debate about namespaces there may delay this spec still further.
C) While the scenarios for which we are developing relate to automated control of availability (so the automation namespace may be appropriate) the vocabulary could equally be used just for reporting/declaring/exposing the current state of an IT resource as regards high availability, so it might make sense for the terms to go in the  Common IT Resource Type Vocabulary - assuming we intend to maintain that vocabulary (that is, if we are interested in making it a useful reusable set of terms - the current wiki page doesn't indicate this).

What do the members of OSLC Core suggest as to which namespace to use?

Thanks,
Martin

[1] http://open-services.net/wiki/reconciliation/Common-IT-Resource-Type-Vocabulary-Version-2.0/

Martin Pain
Software Developer - Green Hat
Rational Test Virtualization Server, Rational Test Control Panel
OASIS Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration - Automation technical committee chair

E-mail: martinpain@uk.ibm.com
Find me on:
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=99869908 and within IBM on: IBM Connections: https://w3-connections.ibm.com/profiles/html/profileView.do?userid=12c849c0-ddd5-1030-9b5f-d70a3a891b7f
IBM