Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Proposal to remove Link header option from Resource Preview spec

Thinking about Sam's suggestion, won't this have the problem that you'll get the Compact/Preview resources for the associated RDF Source and NOT the binary?  For example, you can't have separate Compacts/Previews.  Maybe this is a feature but to Ian's requirement for non-RDF, it would seem that requiring someone to "mint" a new describedby resource and then produce RDF, then support prefer.

So taking Ian's requirement, probably best to stick with what already have (RDF property and Link header).  The Prefer can be seen as an optimization to remove the extra GET.  Clients probably should be warned that even though they say Prefer (and Accept: application/json), they still might receive a large JPEG for example.  Though, this is true with the 2.0 UI preview spec as well (or GET on any web resource).

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

From:        Ian Green1 <ian.green@uk.ibm.com>
To:        Samuel Padgett/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:        "OASIS OSLC Core TC Discussion List" <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        08/22/2014 10:51 AM
Sent by:        <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi Sam,
Are you requiring that all resources for which I might want to supply a preview will be LDPRs? - that is, will deal with the type="describedby".   (I know I ought to know the answer to that but I've lost track!)

If so, then your suggestion seems better to me.

best wishes,
  -ian

ian.green@uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM@IBMGB)
IBM Rational

http://example.com/attachments/foo.rdf>; rel="describedby"

http://open-

http://www.w3.org/TR/ldp/#ldpc-post-createbinlinkmetahdr
> --
> Samuel Padgett | IBM Rational | spadgett@us.ibm.com
> Eclipse Lyo: Enabling tool integration with OSLC

Unless stated otherwise above: