Subject: Re: [oslc-core] OSLC involement in proposed asset management CMIS4DAM TC?

I took the action from today's Core TC call to review the referenced proposed charter and give a recommendation.

Recommendation: take no action
      Note: anyone can observe, join or monitor this work independent of this recommendation.

Details: This effort is focused on building a profile within CMIS and leverage existing metadata standards focused on media-based digital artifacts.  Technically, the approaches are different than OSLC and also the domains of the kinds of "assets".  OSLC typically deals with software and hardware assets (build results, VM images, computers, network routers, etc).  Also since the current efforts and interests of asset management in OSLC-affiliated TCs have not shown any interest in reach out to media-based digital assets and lifecycle management thereof.

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

From:        Martin P Pain <martinpain@uk.ibm.com>
To:        oslc-am@open-services.net
Cc:        "OASIS OSLC Core TC Discussion List" <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        09/15/2014 06:05 AM
Sent by:        <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>

I saw this charter proposal for an asset management protocol TC at OASIS, and wondered if there is anyone who is interested in representing OSLC AM there, or whether that would be a worthwhile endeavour.

The proposed TC is particularly aimed at adapting an existing standard named CMIS (so I'm not saying they should use OSLC instead of starting a new TC), but they say they are intending to try & incorporate the different standards and protocols, etc, that service providers may use relating to asset management. So it might be worth being represented there so (1) OSLC AM can be integrated into their work [not that I know of anyone who would find that useful) and (2) it will increase exposure of OSLC AM, to people who are in the AM software business.

I've only read the "statement of purpose" (below. along with the rest of the charter) but these are a few of the sentences that stand out relating to how OSLC AM might link in well:

"
the range of alternative metadata standards used by the rich media stored inside DAM [Digital Asset Management] solutions also requires a more adaptable framework that can share the common elements of a widely adopted standard like CMIS while leaving open the opportunity to [use domain-specific standards with it]."
"
a further objective of CMIS4DAM is to define a series of common operations which compliant DAM solutions will respond to in a predictable and consistent fashion"
and "
The goal of CMIS4DAM is to enhance the cohesion between different DAM solutions and provide a more flexible protocol that is easier for a wider range of participants to engage with than the core CMIS standard alone offers."

Just a thought...

Martin Pain

OASIS OSLC Automation TC Chair

----- Forwarded by Martin P Pain/UK/IBM on 15/09/2014 10:54 -----