Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Motivation and proposal for oslc:archive property

I claim that any practical solution has to support these five cases for resources that aren’t otherwise present in a collection:
  1. Never existed and still doesn't
  2. Was but now is truly deleted
  3. Archived
  4. Not accessible due to lack of access rights
  5. Exists, Current, Accessible, yet is selectively hidden
Conversationally, the assumption that enterprise users don’t delete resources is invalid—or, at least I do not accept it as being universally true. In practice, I have found that systems that prevent their users from deleting content accumulate large collections of junk data as the human users naturally make mistaken entries and eventually correct those. Therefore, any specification or system that elects to not address the 5 cases above on the predicate that “deletions are performed infrequently” is sooner or later found by its users to awkwardly handle real information and real history.

Anecdotally, PTC Windchill allows its users to conveniently delete resources, such deleted resources are truly gone, but it retains a record that the resources used to exist. The query response for a resource that has never existed differs from that for a resource that used to exist but is now deleted. (And these are both distinct from the responses for cases  3, 4, and 5.)

Lonnie VanZandt
303-900-3048
Sent from Dropbox's Mailbox on Mac