Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Motivation and proposal for oslc:archive property

Hi Lonnie,

Thanks for the feedback.  I think it is valuable to outline the various scenarios, how they are accomplished today and how this proposal fits into them.  I have included some details on how these would be satisfied (or not) with today's methods and including the proposal.

I have provided some thoughts interwoven below...

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

"Lonnie VanZandt" <lvanzandt@sodius.com> wrote on 11/12/2014 05:27:48 PM:

> From: "Lonnie VanZandt" <lvanzandt@sodius.com>

> To: Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
> Cc: Samit Mehta/San Francisco/IBM@IBMUS, "OASIS OSLC Core TC Discussion
> List" <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>

> Date: 11/12/2014 05:27 PM
> Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Motivation and proposal for oslc:archive property
>
> I claim that any practical solution has to support these five cases for
> resources that aren’t otherwise present in a collection:

> 1. Never existed and still doesn't

HTTP GET on this URL will return 404

> 2. Was but now is truly deleted

HTTP GET on this URL will return 404 (not found) or 410 (gone)

> 3. Archived

HTTP GET on this URL will return 200 (ok) with content with triple that has:
   <subject> oslc:archived true.
(according to my proposal)

> 4. Not accessible due to lack of access rights

HTTP GET on this URL will return either 404 (not found) or 406 (forbidden)
   (depending on server's access policies)

> 5. Exists, Current, Accessible, yet is selectively hidden

HTTP GET on this URL will return 200 (ok), there will be really no way to known things have been selectively hidden.
A client could control this by either querying based on oslc:hidden or if results include triples with oslc:hidden in them, then the client application can exclude them from things like user interfaces.

6. Accessible and exists (to be complete)

HTTP GET on this URL will 200 (ok) with "full" representation of the resource

> Conversationally, the assumption that enterprise users don’t delete
> resources is invalid—or, at least I do not accept it as being universally
> true. In practice, I have found that systems that prevent their users from
> deleting content accumulate large collections of junk data as the human
> users naturally make mistaken entries and eventually correct those.
> Therefore, any specification or system that elects to not address the 5
> cases above on the predicate that “deletions are performed infrequently” is
> sooner or later found by its users to awkwardly handle real information and
> real history.

I've seen a mix of these applications as well.  Going back even to a SCM tool IBM used to sell (prior to Rational acquisition) which had 2 operations: 1) Delete (which only marked things as deleted and could be switched to back to active) 2) Destroy (which would remove items from rational DB but I learned never actually removed files from SCCS).

This proposal is not encourage tools to support an archive option, it is only intended to provide them with a consistent way of representing the state.  As it exists today, some tools mark them as deleted and don't expose (GET on them returns 410) and others return the resource and so on.

> Anecdotally, PTC Windchill allows its users to conveniently delete
> resources, such deleted resources are truly gone, but it retains a record
> that the resources used to exist. The query response for a resource that has
> never existed differs from that for a resource that used to exist but is now
> deleted. (And these are both distinct from the responses for cases  3, 4, and 5.)

So I'm uncertain if you are proposing that I augment the proposal I have, if so, what changes are to be made. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Steve Speicher

http://open-services.net/ns/core#archived

http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/