Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Usability of delegated UIs

At Sodius, while working on the delegated dialogs for the OSLC RLIA Windchill integration, we did discuss usability capabilities like these. For example, we considered—but ran short of time to pursue—offering the user the choice to run one of several preconfigured Queries in the Delegated Selection Dialog. In the current product, the user can only enter search terms for the dcterms:title and dcterms:shortTitle parameters. As another example of delegated dialog usability, we chose to use Angular and Bootstrap for the UI elements. While we hardly exploit it yet, this provides a foundation from which we could allow our dialogs to be “mobile-first”, tablet-friendly, and responsive to changes in screen size and resolution. With a bit of labor on the implementation of our UI widgets in the dialogs, we could offer the user the choice of custom columns (practical filtering of the resources’ attributes) and column sorting.

Clearly, once you start interacting with a user and designing attractive and ergonomic interfaces, the field of opportunities becomes large (and currently largely unplowed).

Before concluding, returning to Ian’s example, the Selection Dialog—if it supported user-selected filtering—could offer what he seeks through the application of the additional filter of rejecting each candidate testcase that is in the requirement’s related testcases set.

Lonnie VanZandt
303-900-3048
Sent from Dropbox's Mailbox on Mac

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Steve K Speicher <sspeiche@us.ibm.com> wrote:

I have not heard of any work like this or anyone providing this use case, though I can see how it would be helpful.

We've only dealt with "prefilling" creation dialogs, not sure it would follow a certain model by which providers exposed "dialog factories" and you could post a set of resources to exclude and the provider could return a URL that would possible satisfy it.  Another option possibly would be for the dialogs (frames) to just communicate over existing postMessage().  Just thinking out loud.

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

From:        Ian Green1 <ian.green@uk.ibm.com>
To:        "OASIS OSLC Core TC Discussion List" <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        11/25/2014 08:17 AM
Subject:        [oslc-core] Usability of delegated UIs
Sent by:        <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>

One of the apparent limitations of the delegated UI protocol is that the resource views offered to the user cannot be adjusted according to the user's scenario.

For example, the user wants to make a link between a requirement and a test case, and so must pick a test case.  The RM application then makes a link to the selected test case. In this scenario it would improve usability if the QM provider would not offer for selection test cases which are already linked from the requirement. This is a bit contrived but I hope it illustrates the issue.

Is anyone aware of previous work or exploration in this area?  I am aware of the work being done in the CM TC where configuration context may be used to inform the picker behaviour (for example, filtering resources to those in the specified context).

best wishes,
  -ian

ian.green@uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM@IBMGB)
IBM Rational