Subject: Re: [oslc-core] OSLC Core 3.0 - Overiew **PLEASE REVIEW by January 22nd**

Sam,

Comments below...

> From: Samuel Padgett/Durham/IBM@IBMUS

> To: Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
> Cc: "OASIS OSLC Core TC Discussion List" <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>
> Date: 01/15/2015 02:01 PM
> Subject: Re: [oslc-core] OSLC Core 3.0 - Overiew **PLEASE REVIEW by January 22nd**
> Sent by: <oslc-core@lists.oasis-open.org>
>
> Steve,
>
> Look good. I like that the overview is short and to the point, and I think it's
> well stated. Figure 1 really helps.

Appreciate the feedback.

> A few specific comments:
>
> I'm not sure we ever spell out the OSLC acronym. I agree we should use
> just OSLC most places, but we should define it somewhere. This seems
> like a good place.

I updated abstract to define this now.

> > It is recommended that OSLC MS-affiliated TC developed specifications
> > depend on OSLC Core 3.0 specifications, though the real goal is to
> > minimize dependencies, which may override the need to depend on OSLC
> > Core 3.0 specifications.
>
> I was a little confused by this statement. It seems to say one thing and
> then something else.

I have modified this state to hopefully clarify the intention of saying "keep dependencies to a minimum".  Let me know if the improved text achieves that better then the previous.

> > Every capability or vocabulary term should be linked back to key
> > integration scenarios that motivate its need.
>
> I agree. Should we come up with a standard way to do this? I'm not sure
> how I can trace a specific capability or vocabulary term back to a
> scenario today.

We should.  The intention of this document is to motivate desired results, so it somewhat highlights a path for a "work in progress".  Especially as we have just published this.  If there is no reason not to do this, then we can look at a best practice for doing this.  In the past I have updated the scenario page to indicate how the new specification solves it.  It would also be valuable reference from the specification itself, which is why we have the "Motivation" section of the spec today.

> I think we should move the specification outline to a wiki page
> specifically for spec authors.

I was almost considering referencing the "spec template" directly.  Though it might be better to have a wiki page, then have the wiki page direct editors/authors to the appropriate templates.

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
IBM Rational Software
OSLC - Lifecycle integration inspired by the web ->
http://open-services.net

http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/oslc-