Subject: Re: [oslc-core] Review comments on Attachments 3.0 draft

Thanks Sam. Comments continue below.

best wishes,
   -ian

ian.green@uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM@IBMGB)
IBM Rational

https://wiki.oasis-

http://www.w3.org/TR/ldp/#ldpc-post-createrdf

http://sspeiche.github.io/respec/examples/oslc/template-spec.html

> I suggest we discuss on the next call.

> > > The intent is that it could be a LDP 1.1 or 2.0 compliant as well.
> >
> > okay. so it is meant "MUST be LDP 1.0 compliant"?  OPEN.
>
> I'd say no. An LDP 2.0 server might not be 1.0 compliant.
> The intent is we are compliant with some version of LDP, 1.0 or a future
> version.

But you do not know that compliance with a future version of LDP will be consistent with Attachment 3.0.

Eg if LDP 2.0 is not backwards compatible with 1.0, how can you state in the Attachments 3.0 spec that 2.0 would be acceptable (as you intend by writing "at least")?

> > > The requirement is trying to say that there isn't just one big container
> > > of all attachments for all resources on server. In other words, all
> > > attachments in this specific container are for only this resource.
> >
> > yes, this is what I understood.  My question is why make this
> > constraint? A server should be free to organize its attachments/
> > resources as it sees fit.  What is lost by allowing, for example,
> > two resource to share an attachment container?  OPEN
>
> Do you have a scenario in mind?

I don't;  I'm only thinking of generality.

> I think it makes things a little murkier for clients. If I POST to the
> container, do I need to worry that I might be attaching something to
> more than one resource?

Agreed, but why is this problematic?  As far as I understand, two LDPCs can share members so a server could achieve sharing in this way.  A downside of this is that the sharing is a little less conspicuous to a client.  However, I will CLOSE as I don't have a use case.

http://open-services.net/ns/core\#AttachmentContainer used

https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/oslc-core/
> specs/resource-preview.html#linkHeader
>
> > > See example 8.6. The attachment container points to the resource using
> > > ldp:membershipResource following the direct container membership triple
> > > pattern.
> >
> > My question is how a server would do 7.2.3 - a resource indicate in
> > its representation the oslc:AttachmentContainer(s) that can be used
> > to make attachments to that resource.  What vocabulary term would
> > link the resource to the container?  OPEN.
>
> I guess I don't understand. Example 8.6 is meant to show how a server
> does 7.2.3. The container points to the resource, not the other way
> around, because this is how direct containers work in LDP. We have the
> Link header if a client needs it, but you can still find the container
> just looking at the RDF.
>
> If we add a property to the resource, we're repeating ourselves a lot.
> We effectively have 3 links:
>
> 1. The Link header
> 2. The direct container pointing to the resource
> 3. The resource pointing back to the container
>
> I suggest we discuss on the next call.

okay.  I see this clause has been removed from the draft.  We can discuss at TC meeting. ACCEPTED.

> > > I am fine either way. I chose MAY because I didn't think it was too
> > > important.
> >
> > suggest we discuss this one at the TC?  OPEN.
>
> I think so.

okay. ACCEPTED

> > > This one is more debatable. A lot of clients might try to simply remove
> > > the triple from the container instead of calling HTTP DELETE on the
> > > attachment URI. Since there are multiple ways you might try to delete
> > > the attachment, I think we should talk about it somewhere in the spec. I
> > > can't recall off-hand what LDP says about removing containment or
> > > membership triples. Maybe Arnaud or Steve can better comment.
>
> Ian, OK to leave this in? Or move to a non-normative section?

Removal of an attachment (whatever ways there are) should be those defined by LDP.  I see no reason for there to be Attachment-specific normative statements since these are covered in LDP/HTTP.  Suggest we clarify LDP spec. then come to decision.

> > > It's inverse meaning that it's not a property for
> > > AttachmentDescriptor. Rather, AttachmentDescriptor is the object of an
> > > wdrs:describedBy triple. (The subject is the attachment as in 8.6).
> >
> > We express cardinality constraints using resource shape.  But here,
> > there is no resource whose shape is being defined - you are trying
> > to impose a cardinality constraint on the generic use of a property.
> > This doesn't mean anything.  We need to find another way to express
> > the invariant.  OPEN
>
> You make a good point. We have a problem in that the attachment is a
> non-RDF source, so there's no shape. I'm open to suggestions. We could
> remove discussion of wdrs:describedBy from this section.

I don't think shape is useful here.  A server choosing to create an attachment descriptor MUST link to it from the attachment.  An attachment MUST NOT link to more than one descriptor.

> > > The intent is that you can do a PUT on the AttachmentDescriptor to
> > > update a title. I'm not sure if it's explicitly stated in the spec.
> >
> > understood.  But, the title of the attachment is subject to special
> > processing (Slug handling). A server MAY ignore a Slug or it may
> > alter the Slug value.  I was looking to clarify whether or not the
> > server can take the same liberties on a PUT of a new title.  OPEN.
>
> We might discuss on the call. I'd say it's a 4xx error if the server
> can't use the title unchanged. The semantics of PUT are that the content
> completely replaces the resources. I'm not sure the server should
> silently change something in the PUT content.

Agreed.  I'll CLOSE this one.

http://open-services.net/ns/core\#AttachmentContainer

http://open-services.net/ns/core\#attachmentContainer.

> > > I was actually considering removing the AttachmentContainer class. I'm
> > > not sure it's necessary. We can simply use the LDP container types.
> >
> > it would be useful for applications that support query over
> > resources.  Such a type would allow selection of attachment
> > containers by querying for that type.  I don't know this to be an
> > important use case.  We could define this type but make its use in
> > representations OPTIONAL.  OPEN.
>
> I agree we keep the oslc:AttachmentContainer type. I'm not sold on
> oslc:attachmentContainer for the reasons above (my response on 7.2.3).

Since 7.2.3 has been removed, discussion on oslc:attachmentContainer is moot.  CLOSED.

> --
> Samuel Padgett | IBM Rational | spadgett@us.ibm.com
> Eclipse Lyo: Enabling tool integration with OSLC

Unless stated otherwise above: